These Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes are tossed with butter, cinnamon and brown sugar then roasted in the oven until they are crisp on the outside and tender inside. These sweet potatoes are an easy delicious side dish that can be put together in just minutes.
Sweet Potatoes are always a good choice for a side dish. We like them roasted in the oven like these Maple and Cinnamon Roasted Sweet Potatoes but who am I kidding we love potatoes anyway they come. One of our favorite way to enjoy potatoes is mashed. If you like them mashed too you’ll want to check out my recipe for Southern Style Mashed Potatoes they are seriously the best mashed potatoes ever!
You’ll only need four ingredients to make these sweet potatoes:
- sweet potatoes
- brown sugar
- and butter
How to make Roasted Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes:
Now that you have the ingredients together you’ll need to rinse off the potatoes then peel them. I use a good old swivel peeler for potatoes. My mom always used a knife which is a skill I have yet to master. I seem to always cut away a lot of potato with the peel. Of course another option is a Y-peeler. It’s really a matter of personal choice if you ask me.
Once the potatoes are peeled chop them into one inch pieces and transfer them into a large bowl.
Next, pop the butter in the microwave for about 30 second to melt it then add in brown sugar and cinnamon and whisk together. Then pour mixture over the chopped potatoes and toss.
Then, on spray a cookie sheet covered with aluminum foil with non-stick spray and spread the potatoes out in a single layer and roast in a 450 degree oven for 20 minutes. Stirring halfway through to ensure even cooking. Serve while still warm.
My tips for this recipe:
- Try to cut the potatoes into evenly sized pieces. I slice the potatoes into rounds first and then chopped each round into one inch pieces. Even though they will not all be perfectly even they will be close enough to ensure even cooking.
- Another tip for cooking the potatoes evenly is to not over crowd the pan. I used the largest cookie sheet I had for this recipe.
- Cover your pan in aluminum foil the brown sugar will melt as it gets hot and it will become a sticky mess. Using foil will save you a lot of headache when it is time to do the dishes.
Roasting any vegetable brings out the natural flavor and makes it better. Check out my other recipes for roasted vegetables Oven Roasted Garlic Potatoes, Oven Roasted Green Beans , Oven Roasted Parmesan Acorn Squash and my personal favorite Oven Roasted Parmesan Squash and Zucchini. Each of these side dishes require minimal prep but the are so delicious!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Looking for more great ways to cook sweet potatoes? You’re going to love these:
Roasted Cinnamon and Brown Sugar Sweet Potatoes
- 3 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter melted
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar packed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil
Wash and peel sweet potatoes, then chop into one inch pieces and transfer into a large bowl
Melt butter in microwave for 30 seconds whisk in cinnamon, brown sugar and salt
Pour mixture over potatoes and toss until evenly coated
Spread evenly on to baking sheet and place in oven for 20 - 25 minutes stirring halfway through