This Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is a great recipe for a weeknight dinner but it’s fancy enough to serve for a special occasion. If you love to cook with rice then you’ll love this casserole.
There is just something so comforting about a casserole. Sometimes a pan of yummy goodness like this Chicken and Wild Rice, Monterrey Chicken Spaghetti or Chicken Tertrazzini is just what you need to make a bad day better.
How to make :
- Wild Rice
- Parmesan Cheese
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Italian Seasoning
- Sour Cream
- Dry White Wine or Chicken Broth
9×13 casserole dish
- Begin, by preparing the wild rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking in a large skillet over medium heart melt butter and then cook chopped onion until tender and almost translucent. Add garlic and cook until fragrant.
- Next, stir in soup, sour cream, Italian seasoning, half the parmesan cheese and chicken broth.
- Stir in the prepared rice and chicken. Transfer everything into a 9×13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle more parmesan cheese over the top and then place in a 350º oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Garish with parsley and more parmesan cheese if desired.
Variations and Substitutions:
- The teaspoon Italian Seasoning in this recipe can be swapped for 1/2 teaspoon basil plus 1/2 teaspoon oregano.
- Swap the chicken broth for a dry white wine. This is an even swap no need to adjust the recipe.
- You can also swap the wine for white wine vinegar. The vinegar will add a lot of acidity to the dish. For this reason you will need to dilute the vinegar with water. For this swap you will need to combine equal parts vinegar and water. This will be 5 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoons of each liquid.
What kind of wine do I use?
I love a nice Chardonnay and I usually have a bottle on hand so that’s what I use. If you prefer something a little lighter you could use a Pinot Gris or Sauvignon Blanc. Another good option would be a Dry Sherry.
Storing and Reheating:
Store in an air tight container for up to three days.
This casserole can be reheated on the stovetop or microwave.
Stovetop method: transfer chicken and wild rice to a skillet and warm on low heat stirring occasionally until heated through.
Microwave method: in a microwave safe dish heat leftovers in 30 second intervals. Stir between each interval until heated through.
Freezing and Thawing:
Prepare the casserole as instructed but do not bake. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap or cover with foil and freeze for up to three months.
When ready to bake place in the refrigerator overnight to thaw. Bake as directed.
What to serve with this casserole?
I like to serve a simple vegetable side dish or tossed salad to make this a complete meal. Some serving suggestions are:
No matter how you choose to make it this is a recipe that you’ll go back to again and again. Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Still hungry? Follow New South Charm on Pinterest for more recipe ideas!
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
This Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is a great recipe for a weeknight dinner but it's fancy enough to serve for a special occasion. If you love to cook with rice then you'll love this casserole.
- 12 oz wild rice mix prepared
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken prepared
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 10 ½ ounce cream of chicken soup or condensed chicken with white and wild rice soup
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup chicken broth or dry white wine
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
Preheat oven 350 degrees
Prepare rice according to package directions
In a large skillet over medium heat melt butter then cook onion until tender. Sautee garlic until fragrant. Stir in soup, sour cream, basil, half the parmesan cheese and wine or chicken broth. Stir in cooked wild rice and chicken.
Transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish sprinkle reamining cheese on top and cook uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes.
Garnish with Parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.