This Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie is a rich, creamy chocolate dream. It’s made from scratch with only seven ingredients and ready in just minutes.
This Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie recipe has been passed down through my family for three generations. It’s the first pie my mother learned to make and it was one of the first desserts learned to make from her.
This recipe is made with really basic pantry staples so there’s a good chance you have everything or almost everything you need to make this pie already on hand.
What ingredients do you need to make this pie?
- cocoa powder
- egg yolks
- vanilla extract
- prepared pie crust
How do you make this classic pie?
Prepare a frozen or refrigerated pie crust according to package directions
Begin by sifting together flour, cocoa powder, and sugar into a bowl.
Separate three eggs and combine the egg yolks into dry ingredients (see my easy tips below)
Next, slowly stir in milk adding it in a little at a time as you stir
Transfer mixture into a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until mixture becomes thick then remove from heat add vanilla extract, stir to combine
Transfer to baked pie crust and chill in the refrigerator for two hours to 24 hours
Top with whipped cream and serve!
Other topping ideas:
- Shaved chocolate
- Drizzle with melted chocolate
- Sliced strawberries or rasberries
- Crumbles of your favorite candy bar or cookies
This chocolate pie will keep in the fridge for a two the three days. The best way to store it is to wrap it tightly with plastic wrap or a fitted lid if your pie pan came with one.
The most important part of making this pie is to not over think the process. It really is one of the easiest desserts you’ll ever make and I promise everyone will rave about how good it is.
Looking for a few other delicious pie recipes check these out:
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Old Fashioned Chocolate Pie
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Prepare a frozen or refrigerated pie crust according to package directions
- In a medium bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, and sugar
- Mix egg yolks into dry ingredients
- Next, slowly stir in milk pouring it in a little at a time
- Transfer into a medium sauce pan and cook over medium heat until mixture becomes thick
- Remove from heat add vanilla extract, stir to combine
- Transfer to baked pie crust and chill in the refrigerator for an hour to 24 hours
- Store leftover pie in the fridge for up to three days