These Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies are the perfect combination of chewy and sweet. If you’re looking for a homemade chocolate chip cookie like Grandma made these are it!
Everyone needs a good chocolate chip cookie recipe. It’s just a fact of life like paying taxes, going to the dentist, and gravity. Okay, maybe that last one is a fact of science but you get what I’m saying right? Having good classic cookie recipe will come in handy time and time again.
Chocolate Chip Cookies are perfect for sharing:
- give them to new neighbors to welcome them to the neighborhood.
- take them to a potluck or cookout
- share them with friends who are sick or having a hard time
- pass them out at the office for an instant pick me up on a Monday
- or send them to school with your child as teacher as an appreciation gift
Do I need a stand mixer for this recipe?
No! You can use a hand mixer to make these cookies. Just follow the directions in the recipe and the cookies will come out perfectly no matter which mixer you use.
Does it matter what kind of chocolate chip I use?
Again the answer is no; I love to switch things up with this recipe. I’ve used:
- semi-sweet chips
- dark chocolate chips
- milk chocolate chips
- and white chocolate chips
Changing the kind of chips you use in this cookie recipe is an easy way to change the flavor. You can’t go wrong with any of these.
My tips for this recipe:
- Don’t over soften the butter. I put the butter out on the kitchen counter for around an hour to soften it for this recipe. If you over soften the butter the cookie will spread in the oven and become too thin.
- Make sure the oven is hot. I recommend preheating the oven to 350 degrees and letting it rest at that temperature for 20 minutes before putting the cookies in the oven. This help ensure the cookies bake evenly and in the allotted time.
- I buy quality chocolate chips for this recipe. I think it tends to give the cookies a richer more chocolatey flavor. My personal preference is Ghieardelli semi-sweet. Again, this is a personal preference any brand of chocolate chips will work for this recipe.
So, bake a batch of these Old Fashioned Chocolate Chips Cookies and share the goodness around to friends and family or simply turn on Netflix and binge watch your latest guilty pleasure! Either way they are sure to make you happy!
Happy Baking Y’all!
Looking for more delicious cookies?
Old Fashioned Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2 ½ cups all purpose flour packed
- 1 ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter slightly softened*
- 2 cups light brown sugar packed
- 2 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 10 ounce semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 sheet trays with parchment paper, set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt, set aside.
In the body of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer on medium speed, cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. About 2-3 minutes.
Add in the eggs and vanilla, mix together on slow speed until combined.
Add in the flour mixture and mix in combine with the mixer set medium speed until the flour is incorporated. Scrape down the sides as needed.
Add in about ¾ of the chocolate chips and mix in just to incorporate through the cookie dough.
Make 12 even dollops of the dough on the parchment paper lined sheet tray about 3-4 inches apart. Top each cookie with the remaining chocolate chips.
Bake for 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Let cool slightly on the sheet tray, transfer to a wired rack and cool completely.
*Make sure the butter is not too soft, let it sit out no longer than one hour before using. The butter needs to stay more firm so the cookies won’t spread in the oven since this is a no-chill cookie dough.
**Make sure the oven is hot. I recommend preheating the oven to 350 degrees and letting it rest at that temperature for 20 minutes before putting the cookies in the oven. This help ensure the cookies bake evenly and in the allotted time.