Easy White Chicken Chili is a quick, easy and flavorful recipe that you can make in about 30 minutes with simple ingredients.
Y’all I’m so excited to about the cooler weather. It was so hot here this summer there were days, I swear, I thought I’d melt. Now that it’s finally taking a turn toward Fall all I can think about making a pot of chili. Sometimes we like a traditional version like this 30 Minute One Pot Chili but sometimes we like something a little different like this White Chicken Chili.
How do you make White Chicken Chili?
- Begin by cooking the onion and chilis in bottom of the pot until the onions are transparent and the chilis become fragrant.
- Next add the Great Northern Beans, corn, chili seasoning, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer on low for 20 minutes.
How do you thicken chicken chili?
If you prefer your chicken chili a little thicker the easiest way to do this is my pureeing half the white beans and a cup of the broth in a food processor or blender until smooth. Add the puree to the pot, in step three, when you add the chicken broth. Then follow the rest of the recipe as stated.
My tips for this recipe:
- If you don’t have any cooked chicken on hand grab a rotisserie chicken from the grocery store. Just cut way the skin and shred 2-3 cups of the chicken.
- You can also quickly boil the chicken for this recipe. To do this place two boneless skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of a large pot. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. I recommend you don’t skip this step, how you season the chicken now will affect how it tastes in the chili. No one likes bland chili right? Next, add in enough broth to cover the chicken and bring it to a rolling boil. Turn down the heat to a good simmer then cover and cook for about 20 minutes. At the end of the cooking time check to make sure the chicken is cooked through and that a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees. Shred chicken and discard remaining broth.
- Add some spice for a little kick. I like to add a 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to this recipe. But you could easily add jalapeños, hot sauce, or a pinch of cayenne pepper to make it a little spicy.
Don’t be shy with the garnish, use cilantro, parsley, cracked black pepper, jalapeños, crunchy tortilla chips and even cheese to take this White Chicken chili to the next level! My Easy Beer Margaritas pair perfectly with this recipe, too!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Looking for more great chili recipes?
Easy White Chicken Chili
- 2 lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shreded (see note 1)
- 1 cup onion diced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 15 oz. cans Great Northern Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 15 oz. can yellow corn drained and rinsed
- 1 4 oz. can green chilis with liquid
- 3 cloves garlic minced or 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon chili seasoning homade or packaged
Begin by cooking the onion and chilis in bottom of the pot until the onions are transparent and the chilis become fragrant.
Add minced garlic and cook until fragrant (about two mintues)
Next add the Great Northern Beans, corn, chili seasoning, salt and pepper and stir to combine.
Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer on low for 20 minutes
- Place chicken breasts in the bottom of a 4 quart stockpot or dutch oven. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Pour in 4 cups of chicken stock. Cook over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until chicken is tender and cooked through.