This Chicken Taco Soup is Packed full of chicken, vegetables and loads savoy taco flavors. This family loved soup can be ready to serve in under and hour.
My husband loves soup. He especially loves homemade soup. So you can imagine my surprise when I realized I’d never shared a soup recipe with y’all. That was until today.
Now when I say this recipe is easy; I mean that if you can work a can opener then you’ve pretty much mastered this recipe. That’s simple enough right?
How do you make Chicken Taco Soup?
- Begin, by mining a red bell pepper, an onion and three cloves garlic.
- After, you’ve chopped the vegetables add them to a large pot of warm olive oil. Then cook for about three minutes or until they are tender and the onion becomes translucent.
- Next, add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper to the pot then stir well. Allow the liquids and seasonings simmer together for five minutes.
- Finally, add black beans and corn to pot and bring to a soft boil. Turn heat to low cover and cook for 15 minutes.
My Tips for this recipe:
- This recipe calls for finely diced a red bell pepper, onion and garlic. If you are in a hurry you can use a food processor to chop up the bell pepper and onion.
- Another time saver is to buy frozen, pre-cut onion and bell pepper in the freezer section of the grocery store. If you do this then there’s no need to thaw the onion and bell pepper first just measure and add them to pan.
- This recipe does require cooked chicken. I used two boneless skinless chicken breasts. However, a rotisserie chicken from your grocery store is another quick and easy option.
Top this soup with all your favorite taco toppings. Ideas include:
- shredded cheese
- crushed tortilla chips
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeños
Once you’ve topped off your soup you’re ready to enjoy it.
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Looking for more soup recipes you’ll love?
Chicken Taco Soup
Packed full of chicken, vegetables and taco flavor this family loved soup can be ready in less than an hour from beginning to end.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups chicken breast cooked and shredded
- 1 cup yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 14.5 oz petite diced tomatoes canned, with juice
- 8 oz tomato sauce canned
- 15 oz black beans canned, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz whole kernel corn canned, drained and rinsed
- 1.25 oz taco seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- tortilla chips, sour cream, cheese or any other topping of your choice
Over medium heat warm olive oil. When warmed add onion and red bell pepper cook three minutes or until vegetables are tender add minced garlic and cook one more minute.
- Add chicken broth, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, taco seasoning, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper then stir until well combined let simmer five minutes
- Add chicken, black beans and corn bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes.
- Garnish as desired.
This recipe can be prepared and frozen for up to three months.
This recipe was originally posted October of 2015. It’s been updated with better instructions and photographs. — Susanne