This Homemade Taco Seasoning recipe is made with pantry staples and is perfect for tacos or taco inspired recipes. Once you’ve made your own blend you’ll never buy that pre-made packet of taco seasoning again.
Now, I know what you’re probably thinking. Why would make my own taco seasoning when I can buy a pre-mixed and measured pack at the store? I’ll give you three good reasons:
- You can control how spicy it is by tweaking the ingredients to your tastes.
- You can mix it together in advance and keep in a jar until you need it or you can just mix it as you need it.
- Less sodium. Whether you’re watching your cholesterol or not less sodium in your food is always a good thing!
What spices are in Taco Seasoning?
- chili powder
- ground cumin
- garlic powder
- onion powder
- dried organo
- black pepper
- red pepper flakes (optional)
How much seasoning do I use for a pound of ground beef?
This recipe makes about 2.5 tablespoons of seasoning which is (more or less) equal to one 1.25 ounce packet. So this recipe is the perfect blend of one pound of ground beef or two shredded chicken breast.
I use this mix in every recipe that requires taco seasoning. Some of our favorites are:
Loaded Taco Salad with Chipotle Lime Sauce
Here are a few other homemade seasoning mixes you might like:
Homemade Taco Seasoning Recipe
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
Combine ingredients in a jar with lid. Seal tightly. Taco Seasoning will stay fresh for up to three months.
Leave a Reply