This recipe for Mushroom Fried Rice is a great side dish that comes together in just a few minutes and is perfect to pair with your favorite Asian and Asian Inspired dishes.
This is my version of Mushroom Fried Rice. I do not claim to this to be an authentic Chinese recipe. If you are interested in learning about the Chinese method of preparing Mushroom Fried Rice check out this post from The Woks Of Life.
How to prepare Mushroom Fried Rice?
- white rice
- sliced mushrooms
- white onion
- chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- large skillet or wok
- Prepare the rice according to package directions and set it aside.
- In a wok or large skillet over medium high heat melt the butter.
- Cook the onions until they are tender, about three minutes, then add the garlic and cook for an additional minute or until fragrant.
- Combine the mushrooms with onion and and garlic cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour in the chicken broth, soy sauce and rice and season with salt and pepper then stir to combine.
- Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed into the rice.
Substitutions and Variations:
- White rice can be swapped for brown rice or Jasmine rice.
- Looking for a lower carb version? Try using cauliflower rice!
- Make this a vegetarian recipe by using vegetable broth rather than chicken broth.
- Want to add some spice and flavor? Add one tablespoon deseeded chopped jalapeño or pickled jalapeños when you add the mushrooms. Continue following the directions as written.
- You can turn this side dish into a main dish by tofu or a protein like: chopped chicken, shrimp or salmon
- You can also add more finely chopped vegetables to this dish to add flavor or to enjoy as a meatless dinner some options to try: diced carrots, broccoli, celery, green peas, diced red bell pepper.
What to serve with Mushroom Fried Rice:
I hope you and your family will love this recipe as much as we do! If you do try this recipe please come back and leave a comment letting me know how much you liked it!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Spicy Mushroom Fried Rice
This recipe for Spicy Mushroom Fried Rice is a great side dish that comes together in just a few minutes and is a great with chicken, pork, beef or fish.
- 4 cups white rice prepared
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced or pressed
- 1 12 oz mushrooms from a jar, sliced
- ¼ cup scallions sliced
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
Prepare rice according to package directions and set it aside
In a large skillet over medium high hear melt the butter
Cook the onions until tender, about three minutes, then add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
Combine the mushrooms with onion and and garlic cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add chicken broth, soy sauce and rice and season with salt and pepper then stir to combine.
Cook for another 3-5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed.
1) You can exchange white rice for Jasmine rice or brown rice any of these varieties will work wonderfully in this recipe.
2) Add fully cooked chopped chicken, salmon or shrimp in lastly and toss into the fried rice.
3) Try adding some vegetables: carrots, broccoli, celery, green peas or red bell pepper. Chop firm vegetables into small even pieces to ensure even cooking and add to wok or skillet when you add the onion and jalapeño. Frozen peas are great for this recipe no need to thaw just toss them in frozen.
4) Nutritional information is estimated and does not reflect additional vegetables or proteins