For me the side dish is just as important as the main dish. In fact, I really think that a great side dish like this recipe for Skillet Fried Corn can take even a simple dinner over the top.
There is really no way you won’t love Skillet Fried Corn but just in case you need convincing let me list a couple reasons. First, it’s made with crisp, delicious, summer corn. The second reason is bacon. You read that right I said: B-A-C-O-N!
In the summer when there’s fresh corn available this it a great recipe to use it with. If there’s no fresh corn available or you don’t have time to clean ears of corn frozen kernels will work just fine.
Begin, with dicing up a green bell pepper and a small white onion. Mince three cloves of garlic and set them aside. Fry up five slices of bacon in a skillet and set aside on a paper towel to drain.
Now, here’s the most important part; do not drain the grease from the skillet. Instead add the onions, peppers, and garlic to skillet. Cook them stirring occasionally until the they are soft and the onions translucent.
Next add in the corn. If you are using frozen kernels there’s no need to defrost them (see I just saved you some time) just dump them right in the skillet. Cook until the corn softens then cover and reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Crumble bacon into mixture and cook for another 5 minutes.
That’s all there is to it Skillet Fried Corn is easy to make but so, so good! If you’re looking for more ways to prepare and enjoy corn scroll down and check out all the recipes from my fellow bloggers at #SundaySupper.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
- 3 cups corn
- 5 strips crispy bacon
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a skillet prepare bacon until crisp, set aside on a paper towel to drain
- Place all the onions, peppers and garlic to skillet and cook until tender
- Add corn to skillet cook until corn softens
- Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook 10 minutes
- Crumble bacon and stir into corn mixture cook for 5 minutes
Looking for more great recipes with corn?
- Bacon and Corn Chowder by Latin Meet Lagniappe
- Bacon Jalapeno Corn Dip by Flavor Mosaic
- Cajun Baked Shrimp and Corn Dip by The Weekend Gourmet
- Cheesy Corn Tomato Tartlets by Sunday Supper Movement
- Cheesy Grilled Corn Dip by Helpful Homemade
- Corn Chili Con Queso by From Gate to Plate
- Crab & Jalapeno Hush Puppies by Simply Healthy Family
- Grilled Corn Salsa by A Mind “Full” Mom
- Indian Cheese Corn Toast: Popular Vegetarian Recipe by Easy Cooking with Molly
- Roasted Tomato and Corn Bruschetta by Monica’s Table
- Blueberry Masa Harina Pancakes by Magnolia Days
- Corn Avocado Salad by Garden Matter
- Corn, Edamame & Avocado Salad by Food Done Light
- Grilled Corn Ravioli Caprese Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Grilled Tri Tip and Roasted Corn Salad by The Freshman Cook
- Summer Vegetable Salad by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Black Bean Corn Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Chicken Corn Bread Casserole by Cricket’s Confections
- Cornbread Waffles with Pulled Pork by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Fresh Corn Fettuccine by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Fresh Corn Polenta with Summer Vegetables by Caroline’s Cooking
- Pasta with Creamy Corn Sauce and Summer Vegetables by Delaware Girl Eats
- Polenta Stuffed Peppers by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Shrimp Corn Chowder by Feeding Big and More
- A-maize-ing Maple Cornbread by Family Around The Table
- Blueberry and Corn Skillet Bread by Wholistic Woman
- Corn Pudding by Bottom Left of the Mitten
- Corn Pudding with Jalapenos and Chiles by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Easy Addictive Corn by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Galey iyo Qumbo (Somali Corn in Coconut Sauce) by Tara’s Multicultural Table
- Grilled Italian Corn with Garlic-Basil Butter by La Bella Vita Cucina
- Honey Cornbread Muffins by Life Tastes Good
- Mealie Bread (South African Sweetcorn Bread) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Jalapeno Cornbread by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Jalapeno Popper Cornbread Muffins by The Crumby Cupcake
- Peruvian Grilled Street Corn by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Skillet Corn with Bacon by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Skillet Fried Corn by New South Charm
- Blackberry Cornbread Buckle by Pies and Plots
- Brazilian Corn Cookies by What Smells So Good?
- Easy Cornmeal Budino with Blueberry Marmellata by Cooking With Carlee
- Mais Con Hielo-Corn on Ice by Asian In America
- Margarita Popcorn by The Redhead Baker
- Sweet Corn Custard Pie by Nik Snacks
- Sweet Corn Ice Cream by Baking Sense
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.