This recipe for Sautéed Zucchini and Corn is a simple 15 minute side dish that is cooked with onions and garlic and seasonings and then topped with a sprinkled of Parmesan cheese. This delicious recipe is the prefect side for chicken, fish, beef or pork.
There’s just something about zucchini in the summertime. I love zucchini anytime of year really but in the summer when it’s in season it’s the best! Wether you are slicing it like in this Garlic Parmesan Squash and Zucchini, making noodles like this Zucchini Stir Fry or chopped like this recipe there’s no wrong way to make zucchini!
How to make Sautéed Corn and and Zucchini:
- Italian seasoning
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- grated parmesan cheese
- large heavy skillet
- In a large 12 inch skillet over medium high heat the olive oil until it is hot, but not sizzling.
- Sauté the onions until they are tender, then add the garlic to the skillet and cook until fragrant stirring constantly.
- Add the zucchini, corn, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the skillet and cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally. Cook until the zucchini is tender but not soggy.
- Garnish with parmesan cheese
Substitutions and Variations:
- Make this dish dairy free by leaving out the parmesan cheese.
- I used thawed frozen corn kernels but you could use fresh cut from the cob or canned corn that has been been drained and rinsed.
- This dish is made with corn and zucchini but if your diet omits grains like corn you can swap the corn for additional zucchini.
- Don’t have Italian Seasoning swap the Italian seasoning for 1/2 teaspoon oregano and a 1/2 teaspoon basil.
- Because there are not a lot of seasonings in this recipe I recommend mincing fresh garlic cloves but one tablespoon garlic powder can be used in place of the three garlic cloves.
Storing this recipe:
Refrigerator: keep the sautéed corn and zucchini in an air tight container in the fridge for up to three days. Reheat in a wam skillet for 2-3 minutes or until heated through.
Freezer: I do not recommend freezing this recipe as the zucchini becomes mushy when thawed.
My tips for this recipe:
- I used a 12 inch cast iron skillet but a stainless steel or non-stick skillet will work perfectly. The skillet just needs to be big enough to hold the zucchini and corn.
- I used two large zucchini but you may need three zucchini depending on size.
- Use just a pinch of salt with this recipe. Salt will bring out the moisture in the zucchini. Remember you want to cook the zucchini until tender but not limp. So you want to avoid any additional moisture.
I hope you and your family will love this recipe as much as we do! If you do try this recipe please come back and leave a comment letting me know how much you liked it!
Still hungry? Follow New South Charm on Pinterest! for more recipe ideas!
Sautéed Zucchini and Corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 zucchini cut into one inch pieces
- 4 cups corn
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large skillet until it is hot but not sizzling
Sauté the onion until tender, about three minutes
Add the garlic and cook stirring constantly until fragrant, about one minute
Add the zucchini, corn, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to the skillet stir to combine
Cook for 5-7 minutes stirring occasionally, until zucchini is tender
Garnish with parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper to taste
This would be good served cold