Western Omelette Frittata has all the great flavor of a traditional Western Omelette but in a baked dish. It’s made ham. eggs, onions, bell peppers, cheese. There’s a small twist with hash browns that gives it more flavor.
Brunch is my favorite meal. Don’t get me wrong I have a strong affection for breakfast, lunch and dinner. However my heart will always belong to brunch.
One of my favorite parts of brunch are omelettes. Most mornings I don’t have a lot home time to make eggs for breakfast. So when we go out for brunch or even when I make breakfast for dinner omelettes are almost always on the table.
Recently I saw a recipe for a frittata on Pinterest that was made with ham and potatoes. That recipe inspired me to turn my favorite omelette into a frittata.
What is a frittata?
A frittata is an egg dish combined with other savory ingredients then baked in a cast iron skillet. Unlike a quiche frittatas do not have a dough crust.
For this Western Omelette Frittata the ingredients are:
- green bell pepper
- red bell pepper
- red onion
- cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
Steps to make a Western Omelette Frittata:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In an oven safe skillet melt butter then sauté thawed hash browns until tender then remove from heat and set aside
In a large bowl whisk together eight eggs with milk season with salt and pepper
Add ham, peppers, onion, cheese, salt and pepper to bowl and mix until combined
In a skillet melt butter then pour egg mixture into skillet, sprinkle with cheese
Bake at 350 degrees for 30-40 or until middle is set and firm
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Western Omelette Frittata
- 1 cup ham diced into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cups hash browns I used frozen
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350º
- In an oven safe skillet, melt the butter
- Then sauté the hash browns until tender remove from heat
In a large bowl whisk together milk and six eggs
- Add ham, peppers, onion, cheese, salt and pepper to bowl and mix until combined
- Pour egg mixture over hash browns, sprinkle with cheese and place in preheated oven for 25-30 minutes (eggs are fully cooked when the middle is firm)