This recipe for 7-Up Cake is a moist delicious bundt cake that features a sweet and tart flavor combination that will please everyone’s tastebuds.
I just love desserts with lemon flavor. They just taste like summer and good times to me. This recipe is not new. In fact it’s somewhat of a classic. However, I had forgotten about it until I recently had a slice of it at a church potluck.
As you’ve probably already guessed this bundt cake gets it’s name because the lemon-lime soda is a featured ingredient in the recipe. It might seems strange to make a cake with a soda but it can be done and I’m going to show you how.
Where does 7-Up Cake come from?
The recipe for this cake was first published back in 1953 in a promotional recipe booklet published by the soda company. That recipe is different from the one I’m sharing with you today. This recipe is made from a mix rather than from scratch but trust me this one is just as delicious and easier to make!
How do I make a 7-Up cake from scratch?
- Unsalted Butter
- Large Eggs
- All-Purpose Flour
- lemon extract
- lemons (for zest, optional)
Steps to make a 7-Up cake:
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until well combined
2. Add eggs one at a time until they are incorporated into the butter and sugar
3. Next, pour in flour and beat until combined
4. Add 7-Up and lemon extract and mix until combined
4. Transfer batter into prepared bundt pan
5. Place in a 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean Then cool the cake completely then transfer to a plate and glaze
My tips for this recipe:
- I recommend using room temperature soda for this recipe. It blend better with the other ingredients better and prevent pockets of uneven temperature when baking.
- Be sure to grease and flour you bundt pan throughly so the cake will slide out without any or very little sticking.
Do I have to use 7-Up soda?
Yes. 7-Up has a higher carbonation level other lemon-lime sodas. The higher amount of carbonation helps the cake to rise.
This cake is a rich delicious dessert with a delicious combination of sweet and tart. I love it and I know you will too!
Happy Baking Y’all!