This recipe for 7-Up Cake is a moist delicious bundt cake that features a sweet and tart flavor combination that will please everyone’s tastebuds.
I just love desserts with lemon flavor. They just taste like summer and good times to me. This recipe is not new. In fact it’s somewhat of a classic. However, I had forgotten about it until I recently had a slice of it at a church potluck.
As you’ve probably already guessed this bundt cake gets it’s name because the lemon-lime soda is a featured ingredient in the recipe. It might seem strange to make a cake with a soda the main ingredient but it can be done and I’m going to show you how.
Where does 7-Up Cake come from?
The recipe for this cake was first published back in 1953 in a promotional recipe booklet published by the soda company. That recipe is different from the one I’m sharing with you today. This recipe is slightly different from this one but they both feature a great combination of tart and sweet.
How do I make a 7-Up cake from scratch?
- Unsalted Butter
- Large Eggs
- All-Purpose Flour
- lemon extract
- lemons (for zest, optional)
Steps to make a 7-Up cake:
- In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until well combined
2. Add eggs one at a time until they are incorporated into the butter and sugar
3. Next, pour in flour and beat until combined
4. Add 7-Up and lemon extract and mix until combined
4. Transfer batter into prepared bundt pan
5. Place in a 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean Then cool the cake completely then transfer to a plate and glaze
My tips for this recipe:
- I recommend using room temperature soda for this recipe. It will blend better with the other ingredients and prevent pockets of uneven temperature when baking.
- Be sure to grease and flour you bundt pan throughly. This will ensure cake will slide out without any or very little sticking.
Do I have to use 7-Up soda?
Yes. 7-Up has a higher carbonation level other lemon-lime sodas. The higher amount of carbonation helps the cake to rise.
This cake is a rich delicious dessert with a delicious combination of sweet and tart. I love it and I know you will too!
Happy Baking Y’all!
- 1 1/2 cups unsalted butter
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 large eggs
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup 7-up room temperature
- 2 tablespoons lemon extract
- 1-2 lemons for zest optional
Preheat oven to 325 degrees
Prepare a bundt pan with non-stick spray and flour until well coated
In a large mixing bowl cream the butter and sugar together until well combined
Add eggs one at a time until they are incorporated into the butter and sugar
Next, pour in flour and beat until combined
Add 7-Up and lemon extract and mix until combined
Transfer batter into prepared bundt pan
Place in a 325 degree oven for 1 and hour and 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the cake come out clean
Cook the cake completely then transfer to a plate and glaze
1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
1 tablespoon lemon or lime juice
1 to 2 tablespoons 7UP soda
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon or lime zest, optional
For glaze, in a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar, lemon juice and enough 7UP to reach desired consistency. If desired, stir in zest. Drizzle over cake.