This Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole is a great recipe for a weeknight dinner but it’s fancy enough to serve for a special occasion. If you love to cook with rice then you’ll love this casserole.
I’m always looking for new recipes. I love looking at cooking blogs, websites, and of course Pinterest. I also love looking through cookbooks. I recently picked up a copy of The Joy of Cooking at a local thrift store. I was flipping through it this morning and I uses half a pad of sticky notes marking recipes I want to try.
This recipe for Chicken and Wild Rice is not new. It’s a classic, in fact they really don’t get much more classic than this casserole. I guess casseroles are considered old fashioned these days but honesty I L-O-V-E them. There’s just something so comforting about a big, cheesy, pan of food goodness.
The recipe calls for 1/3 cup or dry white wine or chicken broth. If you do choose to make this with wine don’t worry about buying a cooking wine or an expensive white wine. I always just use whatever I have on hand; which is usually a Chardonnay or Resiling. It always turns out delicious.
If you choose to skip the wine and use the chicken broth you won’t be disappointed. The broth add a rich flavor that gives this dish an little additional comfort value. No matter how you choose to make it this is a recipe that you’ll go back to again and again.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole
Author: Susanne Eagan
Serves: 6 servings
- 6oz package of wild rice mix (I used two boxes of Rice-a-Roni)
- 2 cups of cooked shredded chicken
- 10½ ounce of cream of chicken soup or condensed chicken with white and wild rice soup (I used cream of chicken)
- ½ cup of sour cream
- ½ cup of shredded Parmesan cheese
- ⅓ cup of dry white wine or chicken broth (I used the chardonnay I had in the fridge)
- ½ teaspoon of dried basil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 stalk of celery chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Prepare rice according to package directions
- While is rice is cooking in a large skillet over medium heat melt butter then cook onion until tender. Stir in soup, sour cream, wine, and basil. Stir in cooked rice and chicken.
- Transfer to a 9x13 casserole dish sprinkle cheese on top and cook uncovered for 30 to 35 minutes. Garnish with Parmesan cheese (optional)
Looking for more great RICE recipes?