Cajun Chicken Pasta is a creamy delicious dish that packs a little spice. It’s also surprisingly easy to make. If you’re looking for something different to make for dinner give the recipe a try.
- 2-3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (bite sized pieces)
- 16 ounces bow tie pasta
- 2-3 teaspoons cajun seasoning
- ¼ cup flour
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small white or yellow onion (diced)
- ½ cup tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 cup whole milk, heavy cream, or half and half
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2-3 cloves garlic (optional)
- Prepare pasta according to directions.
- Cut uncooked chicken into bite sized pieces. Sprinkle one teaspoon of Cajun
- Seasoning over chicken. Add salt and pepper. Prepare a large pan or skillet
- with non-stick spray and then cook chicken, stirring constantly for 8-10
- minutes. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan melt butter and add peppers, onions, and garlic to melted
- butter and cook for two minutes.
- Add flour to pan and stir until flour and vegetables clump together. Add tomatoes and stir until incorporated.
- Slowly add milk to pan stirring until sauce becomes smooth and creamy.
- Stir in two teaspoons of Cajun Seasoning until well combined
- Mix in pasta and chicken stirring until coated and the chicken is warmed
- Garnish with scallions and Parmesan cheese if desired.
- ***Note the pasta appears much lighter in the pictures than in real life.
My Hubby loves Cajun food. Really though he loves any food that’s spicy. Me? I like things that have a lot of flavor but not necessarily spicy. So when I found this recipe I was a bit skeptical about how much I’d like it or even if I would hate it. Turns out that it’s actually pretty mild and I really, really liked it.
To prepare the chicken for the recipe you’ll cook it in a large skillet or pan. To do this cut uncooked chicken into bite size pieces and season with Cajun Seasoning, salt and pepper. Then cook over medium heat stirring constantly for about 10 minutes.
I highly recommend preparing the pan or skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Trust me I’ve learned the hard way. Once the chicken is cooked set it aside and return the pan to the stove.
Using the same pan melt butter and sauté onions, peppers and garlic. The garlic is optional. It was something I added to the recipe because I like garlic. Cook vegetables until they are tender.
Next add the flour to the mixture and stirring until it becomes a big glob. (I’m pretty sure that’s the term they use at Cordon Bleu) Then slowly add in heavy cream, stirring constantly until smooth and creamy.
Once the sauce is ready add in two teaspoons of Cajun Seasoning and chopped tomatoes. Stir until well combined. I use a half of a can of petite diced tomatoes. If you do this be sure to drain the juice from the can first. You don’t want to add any liquid to the sauce because it will make it too thin to stick to the pasta.
Finally, return chicken to pan. Stir to coat in sauce. Then add the prepared pasta and stir. Turn heat to low and let stand for 10 minutes .
Garnish with scallions and Parmesan cheese if desired.
This is a great dinner idea for a busy night because it cooks up quickly. We loved this recipe and it’s one that I’m sure I’ll be making again and again.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Looking for more great PASTA recipes?