This Mostaccioli Pasta is loaded with Italian Sausage, Chorizo, and Ground Beef plus not one, not two, not three but four kinds of savory cheese. This pasta is the perfect over the top dinner that’s ready in about 30 minutes!
Today I’m reviewing a new cookbook written by a fellow blogger, Meagan Marlowe from Strawberry Blondie Kitchen. Her new cookbook is titled Incredible One Pot Cooking and it’s full of great recipes that will help you get dinner on the table every night!
Megan’s new book features recipes like: Deluxe Cheeseburger Sloppy Joe’s, Bloody Mary Chicken Pasta, Cajun Red Beans and Rice Stuffed Peppers and of course this recipe for Dad’s Mostaccioli. The best part is they all cook from beginning to end in just one pot!
What is Mostaccioli pasta?
Mostaccioli is similar to penne, which I used when I made this recipe, in size but unlike penne it has a smooth texture. My local grocery store didn’t have Mostaccioli in stock so I used penne instead.
This recipe calls for a combination of three meats:
- Italian Sausage
- Ground Beef
You will used a half pound of each and cook them at the same time until browned. Cooking them simultaneously saves a considerable amount of time in preparing this dish.
This recipe also calls for four different types of cheese:
- and Gruyere
I know it sounds like a lot of cheese but in total is only 2 cups of cheese. The cheeses add an extra layer of savoriness to the pasta that would be missing without the combination.
How can I cook all of this in one pot?
I know I asked myself the same question, I mean it takes me a skillet and two pots to just a normal everyday spaghetti. So is it possible to cook three different meats, pasta, and a sauce in one pan?
The answer is yes, it’s totally possible. Here are the steps:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the chorizo, ground beef and Italian sausage. until browned then transfer the meats to plate and set it aside.
- Next, add olive oil and butter to the skillet Allow the butter to melt before adding the onion and garlic. Sauté for five minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Then, stir in the marinara sauce, water and pasta into the skillet. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked to al dente.
- Return the meats to the skillet. Add the mozzarella, Parmesan, Asiago, and Gruyere cheeses to the pasta mixture. Stir to combine all the ingredients until the cheeses are melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish the pasta with the parsley before serving.
It’s actually super easy and it was definitely easier to clean up than my usually method for making pasta.
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Easy One Pot Mostaccioli
- 8 oz. chorizo
- 8 oz. ground beef
- 8 oz. Italian sausage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 24 oz. marinara sauce
- 2 cups water
- 12 oz mostaccioli Note 1
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup gruyere cheese shredded
- 2 tablespoon parsley chopped
- In a large skillet over medium heat, combine the chorizo, ground beef and Italian sausage. Cook until the meats are brown, 8-10 minutes. Transfer the meats to plate.
- Add the butter and the oil to the skillet. Allow the butter to melt, then add the onion and garlic. Sauté for five minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the marinara sauce, water and pasta. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook for 15 minutes, or until the pasta is cooked.
- Return the meats to the skillet. Add the mozzarella, Parmesan, Asiago, and Gruyere cheeses. Stir to combine all the ingredients and cooking the cheeses are melted, 2 to 3 minutes. Garnish the pasta with the parsley before serving.
Note 1: Penne pasta can be exchanged for mostaccioli pasta.