Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Barbecue Chicken is my twist on the popular Chinese dish. This version features barbecue sauce and Apple Cider vinegar giving the chicken a great flavor that everyone is sure to love.
I love my crock pot, no seriously, I L-O-V-E it. Not just for the convince but because cooking at a low constant temperatures for long periods of time makes whatever your cooking tender and flavor packed.
Okay, I’m done waxing poetic about my slow cooker let’s talk about this recipe. This recipe is three of my favorite things: easy, delicious, and inexpensive. It also happens to be very filling. This is great if you are feeding your family or just a really, really hungry husband.
This is one of those great crock pot recipes where you just dump in the ingredients set the timer and walk away. Those are the best kinds of slow cooker recipes, right?
Begin by placing four boneless skinless chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker. Then pour a can of chunked pineapple (without the juice) and diced onion on top of the chicken.
Then in a bowl combine a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and garlic powder. Stir to mix and then pour it over the chicken. Cover with the lid and cook on high for 4 hours or low for 6.
At the end of the cooking time remove chicken and shred with two forks. This should be easy to do because you’ve slow cooked the chicken and it will be tender.
If you want to make the sauce thicker before returning the chicken to the crock pot stir two tablespoons of corn starch into the sauce. Add the chicken back to the slow cooker, cover and cook on low for 15 minutes. Serve over rice and enjoy!
Thanks so much for stopping by New South Charm! I hope you’ll find a recipe or two you’ll love. Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1½ cups barbecue sauce
- 1 8 oz. chunked pineapple, drained
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup onion, diced
- ½ teaspoon garlic power
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken breasts in the bottom of the bowl of the slow cooker
- Dump on diced onion and drained can of pineapple
- In a bowl combine together barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, garlic powder salt and pepper
- Pour mixture over chicken, onions and pineapple
- Place lid on crock pot and cook for 4 hours on high for 8 hours
- At the end of the cooking time remove chicken from slow cooker and shred with two forks
- Before returning chicken to crock pot add corn starch to sauce and stir to combine
- Add chicken back to sauce and stir to coat, cover and cook on high for another 15 minutes
- Serve over rice if desired
Looking for more great SLOW COOKER recipes?