These Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chop are pure Southern comfort food. The pork chops are fork tender and smothered in a savory onion and garlic gravy that will make this easy recipe a new family favorite!
Pork Chops are always a great choice for dinner. They easy to prepare and just a versatile as chicken. Another of our favorite ways to prepare pork chops is this recipe for Ranch Seasoned Pork Chops and Potatoes.
Will cooking the pork chops in a crockpot make them tough or rubbery?
Slow cooking pork chops mean they are come out really moist and the meat absorbs seasonings and flavors from the gravy as it cooks. So, when these pork chops come out of the crock pot they are really tender and flavorful.
This recipe cooks about 8 pounds of pork chops. I like to use center cut thick chop and that is what I recommend you use also. But, any cut of pork chop will do.
Besides the chops you will need:
- •olive oil
- •chopped onion
- •garlic powder
- •Italian Seasoning
- •pork gravy mix
- •onion soup mix
- •cream of mushroom soup
- •salt and pepper
How to make Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops:
Before placing the pork chops in the crock pot you’ll want to sear them in a skillet for about three minutes per side. Searing the pork chops is not a necessary step but it’s absolutely worth the extra few minutes. Searing will add an extra layer of flavor to the finished dish.
- Season the pork chops with salt and pepper.
- Next, in a large skillet over medium heat add olive oil then when hot add the pork chops to skillet and sear for three minutes on each side.
- Transfer the pork chops to bottom of the bowl in the crock pot.
- Then in a mixing bowl combine cream of mushroom soup, water, chopped onion, garlic powder, Italian seasoning, gravy mix, and onion soup mix. Stir until combined. Pour the mixture over the pork chops.
- Finally, cover the slow cooker with the lid and set to cook for three hours on high or six hours on low.
My tips for this recipe:
- Use thick center cut chops. I prefer bone-in but boneless pork chops are also great for this recipe.
- A crockpot liner to make cleaning up easy. Because you are making gravy in the bowl of the slow cooker it can get messy. Using the plastic liner will save you from having to scrub the pot after dinner.
- Cook on low if you have the time. The lower the temperature and the slow you cook meat the more flavor if will develop. So slow and low is definitely the way to go with this recipe.
I like to serve these pork chops over my Southern Style Mashed Potatoes because… well… gravy! You could also serve them over rice or noodles. If you’re watching your carbs they are super good just on their own or with mashed cauliflower. No matter how you serve these Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops you’re going to love them.
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Looking for a few other pork chop recipes? You’re going to love these:
Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops
This recipe for Slow Cooker Smothered Pork Chops are pure Southern comfort food. The pork chops turn juicy and fork tender. Plus, they are smothered in a delicious and savory onion and garlic gravy.
- 8 lbs thick cut pork chops I used bone-in
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 10.5 oz can cream of mushroom soup
- 3 cups water
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic power
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 .5 oz pork gravy mix
- 1 1 oz onion soup mix
Heat olive oil over in a skillet over medium heat, while skillet is getting hot season the chops with salt and pepper add pork to skillet and cook unit browned about 3 minutes on each side
Transfer pork chops to slow cooker then in a bowl mix together remaining ingredients, stirring until combined. Pour mixture over pork chops. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.