It’s that time of year where life gets busy. The kids are going back to school, fall festivals, trips to the pumpkin patch and of course football games. When life gets hectic I like to have a good plan for meals. Breakfast can be tough to squeeze in if your mornings are busy. These Make Ahead Breakfast quesadillas are a great solution for a hearty, hot breakfast when your too rushed to cook.
This is a very flexible recipe that allows you to really decide how much of each ingredient to use. I like to put lots of onions and peppers on mine. My husband likes loads of cheese and extra eggs. Its not a big surprise we can’t even order a large pizza with ordering it with different toppings on each half. That’s normal right?
These quesadillas call for some great breakfast flavors such as eggs, cheese and one of my favorites bacon. We don’t eat bacon very often so when I cook it I go for the real thing but if you prefer turkey bacon then that’s fine for this recipe.
I cook the bacon in the oven to do this prepare a cookie sheet with a piece of parchment paper then lay desired amount of bacon on sheet. Place into a cold oven and set temperature to 375 degrees for thirty minutes.
Like the title of this post says these quesadillas can be made ahead and kept refrigerated for five days. This means a whole work week or school week of breakfasts ready in seconds.
To keep fresh cut the quesadillas into triangles. Then wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Once they are wrapped in the plastic put them in freezer sized storage bag. To reheat just unwrap from plastic and put the quesadilla on a plate in the microwave. In my microwave it takes about forty-five seconds but it could vary so just heat until the are warm and cheese is melted.
Serve with salsa or sour cream or both! Enjoy!
Make Ahead Breakfast Quesadillas
- 3 8 inch flour tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 4-6 slices of bacon I go all out with six
- 1/2 cup red bell pepper sliced*
- 1/2 cup green bell pepper sliced*
- 1/2 cup red onion sliced*
- 1 cup shredded Mexican Blend Cheese
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder optional
- *you can use less or more depending on your taste
- Pepare bacon (if cooking in skillet use a separate skillet than you will use to cook the veggies and eggs) and set aside
- In a large skillet warm tablespoon of olive oil turning until it coats the pan evenly
- Add in all the vegetables cooking until onion becomes almost transparent and peppers are tender; remove from skillet and set aside
- Scramble eggs and set aside on same plate as onions and peppers
- Lay one tortilla flat on a grill pan (or large skillet) and then add on eggs, bacon, cheese, onions, and peppers on one half then fold over empty half; carefully flip using a spatula and allow to cook for about a minute or until tortilla is brown on both sides
- Cut into triangles with a large knife or pizza cutter
- To keep fresh in refrigerator wrap tightly in plastic wrap and then place in freezer zip top bag
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!