Do you eat breakfast everyday? I do. I always have for me breakfast is just part of my daily routine. Most days it’s something easy like scrambled eggs or wheat toast with peanut butter but sometimes I get bored with the usual and I’ll make something different like these Freezer Friendly Breakfast Calzones.
I’m really not much of baker but this dough was super easy to make. Trust me once I got over my fears and did it I was shocked I could do it. I might even try to make something with yeast, well maybe someday. Well… we’ll see…
As I said this dough was really easy to make no mixer or fancy attachments and no self-rising flour or yeast of any kind. Just simple ingredients and a wooden spoon are all you need.
To make combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl then using a dough blender cut in butter until the mixture becomes pea sized crumbles. Then add in all the cold buttermilk and stir until the dough forms a ball in the bottom of the bowl.
Sprinkle flour over a flat surface then roll out the dough and cut into circles with a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass. Then spoon some of the cooked eggs, sausage and cheese on to the dough and then fold in half and pinch the edges together to form a pocket.
Transfer onto a baking sheet and bake at 325º for 8 – 12 minutes or until golden brown.
These Breakfast Calzones are great for an easy make ahead breakfast and can be kept in the refrigerator for three to four days.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Make Ahead Breakfast Calzones
- 5 eggs
- 5-6 sausages cooked and chopped into tiny pieces
- 1/2 cup cheese
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup butter cold, cut into Tablespoons
- ¾ cup buttermilk cold
- Preheat oven to 325F
- In a frying pan prepare scrambled eggs and sausage and set aside.
- Then in a large bowl mix the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt
- Cut in the butter with a pastry blender until the mixture crumbles into pea size pieces
- Add cold buttermilk all at once and stir until the dough forms a ball in the bottom of the bowl
- Lightly flour a cutting board or you countertop surface
- Then roll out the dough and then cut into circles with a cookie cutter or the rim of a glass
- Take 1-2 tablespoons of the scrambled egg mixture, a sprinkle of cheese and a bit of sausage and place in the center of the dough circle.
- Fold the dough together to form a half circle and then pinch the ends closed to create a pocket
- Place on a baking sheet and repeat until you've used up all of the scrambled eggs, sausage and cheese.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes or until golden brown
- Serve immediately or cool completely and then wrap tightly in plastic wrap and place in an air tight container for up to 3 to 4 days
Looking for more great BREAKFAST recipes?