Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs is a classic recipe that’s really easy to make and packed full of flavor. Baked in the oven these chicken thighs come out tender and juicy every time. This recipe will have you saying winner, winner chicken dinner!
Have you ever had a recipe you make on repeat for a long time and then one day you just stop making it. Then one day you remember how much you loved it. That happened with this recipe for Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs.
Chicken is a staple for most home menus. It is affordable and extremely versatile. I keep chicken thighs and chicken breast in my freezer. It’s great for making Garlic Parmesan Chicken Thighs, Monterey Chicken Pasta, Honey Garlic Chicken Breasts and even Chicken Fajitas.
Is making Lemon Pepper Chicken hard to do?
No! This is actually a very simple recipe. In fact it is one of the first recipes I learned to make on my own. Don’t be fooled though, easy to make doesn’t mean no flavor. This recipe will surprise you with how much flavor it has.
How do you make Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs?
What you’ll need:
- Bone In Skin On chicken thighs
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning
- Garlic Powder
- Lemon Juice
- Olive Oil
- Fresh Cracked Black Pepper
- Parsley (for garnish, optional)
My tips for picking chicken thighs:
Before we get to the directions let’s talk about the best kind of chicken to use for this dish.
I highly recommend using bone in, skin on chicken thighs. When you cook any cut of chicken (or any cut of meat really) with the bone still intact it just tastes better. The reason for this that the flavor that comes from the bone will spread out into the meat during the cooking process. This leaves you with a deeper flavor.
A skin on cut of chicken will help the chicken retain moisture preventing the chicken from becoming dry in the oven. No one wants dry chicken. If you don’t want to eat the skin then simply remove it after cooking.
I used 2.5 lbs of chicken which was eight thighs. It does depend on what is available at the store. The pack of six thighs will weigh a little less but it won’t be a big difference so there is no reason to alter the recipe.
- Begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees.
- Then remove chicken from the package and pat dry with a paper towel and set them side on a cutting board or large plate.
- In a small mixing bowl whisk olive oil and lemon juice together until well combined. Then using your fingers or a brush rub the mixture the chicken on both sides and under the skin.
- Then in a separate mixing bowl stir together lemon pepper seasoning, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and salt. Then using your fingers or a brush work the lemon rub into the chicken on both sides and under the skin.
- Transfer the chicken into a 9X13 baking dish.
- Place in preheated oven and bake 35-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- When you remove the chicken from the oven squeeze fresh lemon over the chicken and garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and parsley.
My tips for this recipe:
- Line your baking dish with aluminum foil for easier and faster clean up after dinner.
- If the skin of the chicken isn’t crisp enough turn on the broiler for a minute or two. Watch closely things can burn really fast under a broiler.
- If you are using boneless skinless thighs reduce your cooking time by ten minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
- Want to give your chicken a little spice add a 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper powder to the seasoning mix
What can you serve with Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs?
This is a great recipe and one that I’ve been making for a long time The bright flavor of the lemon pepper seasoning is perfect compliment to the chicken. You’ll love it and your family will too!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Lemon Pepper Chicken Thighs
- 2.5 lbs chicken thighs trimmed*
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1.5 tablespoons lemon pepper seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano**
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme**
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- lemon cut into wedges for serving
- Fresh cracked black pepper to taste
- fresh parsley for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking dish with foil
Remove chicken from the package and pat dry with a paper towel and set them side on a cutting board or large plate
In a small mixing bowl whisk together olive oil lemon juice then using your fingers or a brush rub into the chicken on both sides and under the skin
In a separate mixing bowl stir together lemon pepper seasoning, oregano, thyme, garlic powder, and salt. Then using your fingers or a brush work the lemon rub into the chicken on both sides and under the skin
Place in preheated oven and bake 35-45 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads165 degrees.
Serving Suggestion: squeeze fresh lemon over the chicken and garnish with fresh cracked black pepper and fresh parsley.
*you can make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken thighs just recuse the cooking timeby ten minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees inserted into the thickest part of the chicken.
**you can exchange the 1/2 teaspoon oregano and 1/2 teaspoon thyme for 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
***ground black pepper can be used in place of fresh cracked pepper