Currently the Hubby is loving a casserole I made for the first time not long ago, King Ranch Chicken Casserole. This casserole is
Y-U-M-M-Y and it is his absolute favorite.
Most Southern girls I know love their Ro-Tel, and I’m no exception. Plus, I have a deep and undying love for cheese and this recipe calls tons of it.
If you’re a history buff like me you might be interested to know that the King Ranch is a real working ranch near Corpus Christi, Texas. It is the ranch that produced Triple Crown winner Assault in 1950.
It is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. King Ranch was also the inspiration for the epic movie Giant which starred Elizabeth Taylor and James Dean. But enough about that lets talk about the recipe.
King Ranch Chicken is not hard to make but does require prepared chicken. If you want to cut back on prep time suggest using a rotisserie chicken from the deli section of your grocery store. Another fast option would be purchasing a package of precooked chicken from the freezer section.
This version of King Ranch Chicken Pasta calls for two cups of Sharp Cheddar Cheese and one cup Mozzarella. There is no hard and fast rule about the how much of which cheese you use. I’ve seen this recipe listed in several places and the types of cheese vary but most use Cheddar with Mozzarella or Colby Monterrey Jack.
No matter how you decide to prepare it this is pure comfort food. It will make your heart smile.
Happy Cooking Y’all!
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
- 2-3 Cooked Chicken Breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 green bell pepper diced
- 1 can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can of Ro-Tel
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Splash of Tabasco optional
- Prepare and shred chicken
- Preheat oven to 350⁰
- In a sauce pan over medium heat combine onion, bell pepper, Cream of Chicken Soup, Cream of Mushroom Soup, Rotel, and the Mozzarella cheese and one cup of the cheddar. Add in splashes of Tabasco and Worcestershire sauce. Stir occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Line a 9X13 casserole dish with foil (you’ll thank me for the foil when you’re doing the dishes) and coat with non-stick spray.
- After preparing your casserole dish, cover the bottom with crushed tortilla chips to create a crust
- Layer half the chicken on top of the chips
- Then add half the sauce on top of the chicken
- Repeat with chips, chicken, and sauce
- Top with remaining cheddar cheese
- Bake at 350⁰ for 30 minutes