Ham and Cheese Tortellini is a rich, creamy dish that is so easy to make that you can have it ready in just 30 minutes.
This recipe is great for leftover ham but you don’t have to wait for leftovers to make it. I make this recipe all the time just using a slice of bone in smoked ham from the meat section of my grocery store. I just trim off any fat and then cut it into bite size pieces.
Ham and Cheese Tortellini only takes thirty minutes to make. To help cut down on prep time I use an easy shortcut: frozen chopped onions. I buy them in the freezer section with the other frozen vegetables. There’s no need to thaw them first. Just measure and toss them in frozen. They thaw quickly and will save you tons of time in the kitchen.
In a large ovenproof skillet melt a tablespoon of butter over medium high heat. When butter is melted add onions and cook them until they are tender and translucent. Add garlic and cook for two minutes stirring constantly.
Add chopped ham to skillet and cook until it’s slightly browned. Once the ham is browned pour in the chicken broth and season with salt and pepper and Cayenne pepper. Stir to combine.
Place tortellini in the skillet and bring to a everything boil. Reduce heat and cover and simmer on low for about ten minutes or until the pasta is tender.
When the pasta is cooked remove the skillet from heat and add in frozen peas. Pour in heavy cream and stir to combine. Be sure you have removed the skillet from the burner to prevent your cream from curdling.
Sprinkle cheese over the top. Then pop the skillet under the broiler in your oven until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
That’s it! This recipe is so easy to make it’s foolproof. Plus, you make it all in just one skillet so cleaning up dinner couldn’t be easier.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
Ham and Cheese Torteillini
- 1 pound ham chopped
- 2 9 oz. packages tortellini
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cups onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups shredded cheese Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack
- 1 cup frozen sweet peas
- 1/4 cup cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large ovenproof skillet melt butter over medium high heat. Cook onions and in butter until they are softened and translucent. Add garlic
- Add ham to skillet until slightly browned
- Pour in chicken broth, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper stir to combine and then tortellini bring to a boil then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until the tortellini tender
- Remove skillet from heat stir in cream and frozen peas - be sure to take the skillet off the burner because cream can curdle quickly
- Sprinkle cheese over top and pop under broiler until cheese is golden and bubbly
Looking for more great recipes?