The sweetness of fresh strawberries and a homemade cream topping make this Strawberry Vanilla Poke Cake a great dessert for any weeknight or party.
Summertime in the South is usually filled with two things humidity and potlucks. Wether we are kicking off the summer on Memorial Day weekend, gathering for a family reunion, or celebrating the Forth of July every cook needs a great dessert for summertime gatherings.
A friend gave me two quarts of fresh strawberries today. I knew the second I saw them I had to make this Strawberry Vanilla Poke Cake.
Y’all this cake is so good you’ll have dreams about it, at least I did. In fact as I’m typing this post I’m thinking about going to the farmer’s market this week to get more strawberries to make this cake again.
Poke cakes are really easy to make. In fact they are so easy they’re almost foolproof. This cake begins with a vanilla box cake mix. Prepare the cake according to package directions. Then once you’ve baked the cake you simply take a wooden spoon and poke small holes all over it.
After you’ve poked the holes in the coke pour a cup of strawberry ice cream topping over the top and spread it around making sure the syrup goes into the holes. Then pop the cake in fridge for a couple hours to chill.
Not to short change the cake part of this recipe but the cream topping is the best part. To make the topping combine heavy cream, sour cream, confectioners’ sugar, and vanilla extract in bowl with a mixer until stiff peaks form.
Spread the topping over the chilled cake then top with chopped strawberries and a drizzle of strawberry syrup. Cover and refrigerate for another 30 minutes before serving.
For a little extra crunch I crushed a few pretzels and sprinkled them over the top right before I served it.
Thank you so much for reading! Are you following New South Charm on Facebook? I’d love to hear from you; drop by and say hello!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
- 1 box white cake mix, vanilla (plus ingredients)
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, chopped
- 1 (11 oz.) jar of strawberry ice cream topping
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- ½ cup confectioner's sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup pretzels, crushed
- Prepare cake mix according to directions
- Poke holes in prepared cake with the handle of a wooden spoon
- Pour strawberry syrup over cake and spread; making sure you fill the holes with syrup
- Chill in the refrigerator for an hour
- In a bowl combine heavy cream, sour cream, and vanilla extract in a bowl and combine with a hand mixer until stiff peaks form
- Spread the topping over the chilled cake
- Top with chopped fresh strawberries and crushed pretzels
LOOKING FOR MORE EASY DESSERTS?