Easy Smoked Sausage and Rice Skillet is an easy main dish packed with flavor that only takes just 30 minutes to make. Making it a great recipe for those nights when need to get dinner on the table fast.
The first time I made this Easy Smoked Sausage and Rice Skillet I wasn’t all that sold on it. It was good, but I thought it had the potential to be a lot better. I spent a little time in the kitchen adding some ingredients and a couple spices. After a few tries my husband gave me the thumbs up I knew it was perfect.
This is really, really easy to make. Begin by thinly slicing a smoked sausage or kielbasa. Then slice up a small yellow onion, and a red bell pepper. Then mince three large clove of garlic.
Prepare white or brown rice according to package directions.
Warm a tablespoon of olive oil and the sausage over medium high heat. Stir occasionally until the sausage starts to brown.
Add sliced onion, bell peppers, and garlic to pan. Stirring occasionally. Cook until onions and peppers are tender.
Add in Paprika, Red Pepper Flakes, tomato sauce and chicken broth, stir to combine. Bring everything to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Allow to simmer for ten minutes.
At the end of ten minutes combine mixture with rice and stir in Mozzarella cheese. I like to garnish this with a little fresh parsley.
That is all there is to making this easy dish. It’s a great one to keep in your pocket for those hectic nights when dinner needs to be fast.
- 1 package smoked sausage (sliced thin)
- 3 cups rice
- 1 small yellow onion (sliced)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely diced) or one teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 cup Mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- ½ teaspoon Paprika
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to Taste
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Heat olive oil and sausage in a large skillet or dutch oven until sausage starts to brown.
- Add onion, bell peppers, and garlic cook until onions and peppers are tender.
- Pour tomato sauce and chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- At the end of 10 minutes remove from heat.
- Stir in rice and Mozzarella cheese.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley if desired.