Chicken Tetrazzini has a fancy sounding Italian name. Really the name is the only fancy thing about this traditional pasta dish. It’s loaded with cheese, chicken and a delicious, creamy mushroom sauce. I promise once you try it you’ll make it all the time.
For a long time I avoided making Chicken Tetrazzini because I thought it would be complicated to make. I couldn’t have been more wrong about that. Turns out that this is a simple dinner that you can enjoy with your family anytime but it’s defiantly company worthy.
This recipe does required cooked chicken. If you want to save time you could use a prepared rotisserie chicken or frozen cooked chicken breasts from the freezer section.
Once you’ve made the chicken or while the chicken is cooking put cook the pasta according to package directions. When pasta is done cooking return to pot and set aside.
To make the mushroom sauce you begin by melting butter over medium heat in the bottom of a sauce pan. When the butter is melted add flour. Stir butter and flour together and continue stirring for one minute.
Add broth, cream of mushroom soup, mushrooms, celery salt, salt and pepper. Cook mixture until slightly thickened. This is was about 8 minutes for me.
Pour mushroom sauce and chicken into the pot with pasta and stir to combine. Transfer into a 9×13 dish treated with nonstick spray. Sprinkle parmesan and cheddar cheese over the top and Bake at 350º for 30 minutes.
I like to serve this with a salad and a big loaf of crusty bread. Just writing about this recipe has made me hungry. Good thing there’s leftovers in the fridge!
Happy Cooking Y’all!
- 2 cups cooked chicken
- 16 oz. package of vermicelli or thin spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can sliced mushrooms
- ¼ cup parmesan
- ¼ cup cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare chicken using method of choice.
- Prepare pasta according to package directions
- In a sauce pan over medium heat melt butter and stir in flour cook for one minute
- Add broth, soup and seasonings to mixture and continue cooking until slightly thickened
- Drain pasta from pot and return add chicken and mushrooms and stir together
- Transfer into a 9x13 dish, prepared with cooking spray
- Sprinkle cheese over the top and bake at 350º for 30 minutes