The key to making this version of chicken and rice is that the rice is boiled in chicken broth. The broth brings extra flavor to the rice and gives the whole casserole a savory flavor.
Aside from being my favorite comfort food this casserole is fantastic for other reasons. It’s easy to make. It’s inexpensive. It will feed a lot of people. The leftovers are great for lunch the next day. Oh and did I mention it’s delicious? Well let me tell you again, it’s delicious!
Happy Cooking Y’all,
- 2 cups of white rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts (or about a pound)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1 can of condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can of condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 can (4 oz.) of mushrooms (I used pieces and stems but button mushrooms would be fine too)
- Prepare 2 cups of rice following package directions substituting water for chicken broth.
- Shred cooked chicken and set it aside
- In a large sauce pan melt 2 tablespoons butter
- Once the butter is melted add in cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soups, blend together
- Add in mushrooms
- Add shredded chicken to skillet and stir into mixture
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Stir rice into mixture allow it to sit for 2-5 minutes
- Pour into a 9×13 casserole dish and bake a 350⁰ for 30 minutes
Like this recipe? You’ll like these too: